Client – Developing Units of Sound online

continued on from Developing Units of Sound Online

Client side choices are some of the hardest for any prospective Web Application, there are a myriad of browsers, versions of browsers, networking infrastructures etc etc that can affect your client and therefor your end user experience. Javascript engines are all slightly different from Firefox to Chrome to Opera and arguably worst Internet explorer, so how can I as a developer cope with all these differences? Especially i wont be able to commit even 20% of my time to this project  (its on top of a normal 9-5 remember).

 Standardization

the only way to deal with this problem is to use some tool which will iron out all of these idiosyncrasies with each browser and give me a level playing field. There are a few Javascript libraries written for this purpose but the winner in this for a long time has been flash. Flash is actually its own run-time environment but is very well supported by all the major browsers and for my purposes will level the playing field perfectly. This does throw some spanners in the works for later on, especially with mobile development.

Framework

Before being opensourced Adobe was push Flex as a flexable framework which would compile down to AS3 and run inside the flash run time environment. So without too much thought and investigation this is what i started to develop in and so far all my experiences have been great. Nine times out of Ten when i start to tackle a problem which is complex and not breaking into smaller sections very well i find that with a bit of reading the functionality is already implemented or partially implemented but under a different ‘name’.

Advertisements

Getting children to respond to FLEX events

Firstly, i dont have a framework in place. I know that everyone will tell me that a decent FLEX framework would have stopped this problem before it begins but for Units Of Sound we decided against it for a couple of reasons, but mostly, simplicity.

So that being said here is my problem. My application makes use of viewstacks and viewstack controllers (i quite like this paradime that i was introduced to when taking on my first iOS app) to control views in the form of public class page extends NavigatorContent of a a public class lesson extends ViewStack with a PageNavigationController which is a group of buttons with a reference to the lesson viewstack.

I want my pages, and the subcomponents of these, to be able to respond to events from the controller but my controller sits ‘higher’ in the display stack and therefore the events are only catchable by components above it.

Not sure how im going to fix this one but hopefully ill be able to come back and update on this issue soon enough